As expert home inspectors, we want you to have a happy Thanksgiving surrounded by the people you love. But our expert home inspectors also want you to stay safe. House fires and other safety mishaps are common this time of year, and we’ve compiled a list of our top safety tips to help you and your loved ones stay safe and enjoy this special holiday.
- When you’re cooking your Thanksgiving feast, don’t leave the area when the stove top or oven are on. Keep an eye on your food and watch out for any signs that something’s burning.
- As you’re cooking, keep small children away from the stove. Set up an activity for any kids to do nearby to keep them from wandering into the cooking area.
- You’re going to have a lot of cooking utensils and knives out while you cook. Keep a close eye on these knives as you cook so they don’t get buried under other items or accidently land in the hands of a small child.
- Keep all utility lighters and matches up high and in a locked cabinet.
- While you are cooking, keep the floor clear to prevent tripping and falling.
- Test your smoke alarms and make sure they’re working. Most smoke alarms have a test button, so you don’t have to set off all your alarms to make sure they work.
We wish you a happy, healthy, and safe Thanksgiving! If you have any questions about keeping your home safe during the holiday season, don’t hesitate to reach out to an expert home inspector on our team.